Tuesday 27 January 2009

Its my Blogoversary and EVERYONE is a winner!!

Yep that's right!! It's my Blogoversary and EVERYONE is a winner!! I have designed an 'enviro bag'. A great bag to take to the supermarket (or craft shop lol), big and roomy, strong handles and some templastic in the base so that way you can just wipe over if any spillages. I have called it 'The Hour Bag' as it only takes about that long to whip up - a great quick gift, or for market stalls or even classes!! The fabrics I used I bought a little while ago from Calico Crossroads called Lilacs and Lace. Pauline has some left if you want one the same....... It is SO pretty!!

I have made 2 of these bags, one for my MIL for her B'day recently which is pictured with the pattern, the other is the 'badge' one. The main fabric are the same, just the lining different - one is blue the other is green.

Here is 'The Hour Bag' badge if you want it for your blog to link back to me:

You can download it here but PLEASE WHEN YOU PRINT IT OUT MAKE SURE IT PRINTS AT 100%

Here is a step by step tutorial:

Step 1: Cut out all pieces and tape together where indicated.

Step 2: Cut on fold - 2 for main and 2 for lining:

There is a 'dot' on the handles, what I like to do is cut a triangle so I know exactly where it is on the cut pieces:

Once they are cut out you will have 2 mains and 2 linings which will look like this:


Step 3: Place 2 main fabrics right side together and sew both side seams and along bottom edge only - LEAVE THE 'CUT OUT PIECES':

Step 4: Place side seam and base seam together, press flat and sew along RAW EDGES - this forms the base..... follow the diagram:

Step 5: Repeat for lining, but leave a 3" or 4" gap in the side seam for turning.

Step 6: With main bag right side out and lining right side in, place main inside lining. Line up side seams - pin. Sew from 'dots' on handles all the way around to the next 'dots'. Repeat for all 4 sides:

Step 7: Turn bag right side out through opening in lining side seam - make sure you pull the handles out too!! Your bag should look like this:


Step 8: For the handles, place 2 opposite main fabric handles right side together and sew along raw edge. Press. Place 2 opposite lining handles right sides together and sew along raw edge. Repeat for other side:

Step 9: Fold under the raw edges on handles 1/4" and press. TOP STITCH all around the bag and around the handles.


NOTE: If you top stitch 1/8" around edge you will not need to hand stitch the opening of the handles closed. Press:


Step 10: Hand stitch the opening closed in lining. Cut your templastic for you base at 8" x 12". Slip it inside your bag and now it is completed.

Roseanne and Bec pattern tested this for me - thankyou SO much ladies!! Roseanne has made several.... you can pop over and see her versions - she even made one with a pocket and a key loop!!

I hope you enjoyed making this bag and would love it if you could email me some pics for me to share here as well!!

Happy Blogoversary to me!!

x Sarah

22 comments:

Terri said...

Happy Blogoversary and thanks for the tutorial!

Stina Blomgren said...

Happy Blogoversary to you!!! And thankyou so much for the lovely pattern...and I did recognize your lovely fabric tooo :o)

Deb said...

happy Blogversary sarah. That is very kind of you to share your pattern, it is lovely.
Best wishes for many more blog postings!

Isabella said...

Congrats Sarah,I'll have to have a go at that one thanks

Erika said...

Happy Blogoversary to You! Great tutorial!

Jules said...

Thanks Sarah for the free pattern. Happy blogging for many more years to come.

Jules

Martina said...

Happy Blogoversary!!!! thank you for the tutorial!!!!
hugs
Martina

Jan said...

Great pattern and tute Sarah. I'll be making this one; you can never have too many bags ....

Jo in TAS said...

Happy Blogoversary Sarah!!Thanks for the fabulous pattern!!

Gina said...

Great pattern and tutorial
Happy Blogiversary
Love and hugs Gina xxx

Chookyblue...... said...

Happy Blogoversary to you..........nice bag.........

Mary Grace McNamara said...

What a great bag! I L-O-V-E bags! Happy anniversary to you ...

MGM

Myra said...

A wonderful pattern and tutorial! Wow! Thanks for sharing! 8-)
I look forward to seeing the rest of your blog... tomorrow perhaps. Time for bed now... 8-)
Happy stitchings!

Amy said...

happy blogoversary to YOU, thanks for the tutorial. I love making bags, have a great day,Amy

Anonymous said...

Happy Blogoversary and thank you for the bag pattern. I think that even a beginner like me can manage this one. xxx

Anonymous said...

happy blogoversary Sarah thank you for the download and tute!! lovely bag!!!!

wonderwoman said...

a very happy blogoversary and many thanks for the brilliant tutorial!

Anonymous said...

Happy blogoversary and thank you for the pattern. I'm a bag lady so a love to find patterns of bags

Christine said...

Congratulations. Your pattern and tutorial are terrific.
Christine

Khris said...

Thanks for the tutorial. I have put a link on my freebie blog if thats okay....hugs Khris

nehmah said...

Thank you for the free carry bag pattern. I am very taken with the pastels you use. However, as we are on different continents, I will have to find something here, in Tennessee. Cordially, Nehmah

Marilyn said...

Congratulations on your anniversary! Thanks so much for the wonderful bag tutorial and pattern...Can't wait to try it!!

Marilyn
www.whimseythoughts.blogspot.com